Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Proust Questionnaire.

Today I had the honor of fulfilling my civic duty via jury duty. I was actually very excited, I've never had jury duty before. I was quite disappointed after sitting in a courtroom all day and not even making it into the box to be questioned by the judge and lawyers. I had the perfect answers all planned out!

We had a ridiculously long lunch so I wandered around and found a super cute little restaurant. I stopped at a newsstand and grabbed a Vanity Fair. Vanity Fair and Vogue were my absolute favorite magazines in the pre-Leo era. I loved looking at the glossy ads, reading about the latest fashion lines, the book reviews, and interviews. I was a little disappointed that I was too tired and too disconnected to even make it through one full article in Vanity Fair today.

But I was still able to enjoy one of my favorite things about Vanity Fair, the Proust Questionnaire at the end of the magazine. Every issue of Vanity Fair includes a Proust Questionnaire answered by a celebrity or some noteworthy figure. I've always wanted to answer these questions and since I'm am dangerously uninspired for blog topics here I go:

What is your idea of perfect happiness:

Feeling balanced and accomplished in everything that I pursue.

What is your greatest fear:

That somehow Leo grows up to be a mean person. I want so bad for him to be caring and compassionate.

What is your favorite journey:

Motherhood.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

Perfectionism. Is that a virtue? I don't know but it seems like no good comes of striving to be perfect.

On what occasion do you lie?

When what I have to say will hurt someone's feelings and saying it serves no purpose.

What do you dislike most about your appearance?

My weight.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

"Like." "That's bullshit."

What is your greatest regret?

That I was not truer to myself when I was younger.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?

What: books. Who: my husband and Leo.

When and where were you happiest?

The road trip that my Husband and I took after the taking the bar. We went up the coast of California. I felt like I could do anything at the point. The stress of being a grown-up had not hit yet.

Which talent would you like to have?

To be able to sing.

What is your current state of mind?

Overwhelmed.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

To stop comparing myself and my situation to others.

If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?

I would make them be more open with each other.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

Passing the California state bar. (Gasp! My greatest achievement is not giving birth. I'm such a bad mother! But seriously I worked at passing the bar, giving birth is all biological and there were drugs involved.)

If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?

A cat.

If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be?

A dog.

What is your most treasured possession?

Probably my cell phone, which is so so sad.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

Not having friends or someone to confide in.

Where would you like to live?

In a house with a yard that is close to my office!

What is your most marked characteristic?

I'd like to think it is my ability to look at a situation objectively.

What do you value in your friends?

Honesty and loyalty.

Who are your heroes in real life?

Working moms who do it all and share their secrets to success and manage to raise children who are not axe murderers.

What are your favorite names?

Catherine, Robert, Frank.

What is it that you most dislike?

Dishonesty.

How would you like to die?

As a very very old woman.

What is your motto?

I don't really have one. My motto for breastfeeding was "stay committed, be flexible," which I think can be adapted to many aspects of life.

If you made it this far, congratulations and thanks! I'd love to see others answer this questionnaire. I think it poses some pretty thought provoking questions.

4 comments:

  1. I've got a new motto for you, since you don't want to be a perfectionist: "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." It is from Voltaire, so if you are so inclined, you can go find it in French.

    I don't consider giving birth to be my greatest achievement, either. Being a good mother might be up there- but there is far more to that than just giving birth.

    And I love your answer to how you want to die. Exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh frig I love VF & I always flip to the back first:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I may steal it as a prompt. (I guess if I credit you, it won't be stealing, right?) I agree that perfectionism is over-rated -- as in, it's not even a virtue. :)
    I also love Cloud's motto.
    Mine is "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." It's my way of being an optimist but not setting myself up for disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your answers. I have a lot of the same answers. I've been working hard not to say like so much. I work hard to make sure Ava doesn't either. I'll never forget my 2nd summer of law school working at a small firm. The partner was awesome, but no nonsense and took me under his wing. He said once, "there is no "like" either it is or it isn't." I'm always conscious of saying it since then.

    ReplyDelete